Eden by Tim Muennich
Villa with studio Mathildenhöhe Darmstadt
The property is situated between Prinz-Christiansweg in the North and Erbacher Strasse in the South. In the North it has a view on the old master houses and on the Mathildenhöhe. To the South the city continues 4 storey and divided in blocks. In the West and the East the property borders on post-war constructions. Except for the South, the surrounding buildings are not higher than 11m.
As regards urban development, the structure of the northern development is since beginning of the 20th century unchangeable. 7 still existing , individually designed living houses, except the house of Behners, were created by the architect Joseph Maria Olbrich, just as well as the wedding tower and the exhibition hall. Being a part of the Mathildenhöhe, they are listed cultural heritage of Darmstadt as well as from Germany.
Situated across from the artist houses, the property serves as a connection to the southern part of the city. It’s considering like a gate to the Mathildenhöhe, which is creating a new perspective and assigning the surrounding environment a new and important role in the process of extension and sustainment.
Between 1901 and 1914 Mathildenhöhe has been developed in 4 phases. Impressed by the great reform movement in England, Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig engages the architect Joseph Maria Olbrich for the design of his artists’ colony. It should become a total work of art. From the least detail to the big urbanistic experience of space. An experiment
what the city still characterizes. Till today it is regarded as one of the most beautiful plants of Jugendstil in Germany. The first exhibition in 1901 is also the first international building exhibition.
In the history of building and art this system therefore has a very high priority and represents a time of reform and a new way of thinking, the dawn of the modern. It is a cultural center of Germany where regular exhibits, tours, festivals and events take place.
The villa with studio should become a place of free development, individuality and silence. The artist colony were mostly designed by architects J.M.Olbrich, P. Behrens and A. Müller and should expand to the south to get connected with the city of darmstadt. This means the building complex act as a figurehead which invited the visitor to a special place. Deliberately the villa and the atelier should not act separately but replant the whole building site as an ensemble. As a result the public gains insight the life of artists as well as musician who temporarily lives their passion. Characterized by sites, patios and calm areas the generated room becomes a strong device of exterior area, transmitted light and at last open space.